Sunday, March 27, 2011

Stranger Danger

It's funny how complete strangers can feel comfortable talking about a few subjects. "Wow this weather is sure great," "Did you catch the (fill in with local team) game last night?" The one conversation that perfect strangers feel inclined to engage in that confuses me the most, is about people's choice of being vegetarian. As soon as someone hears that you're vegetarian they immediately become your nutritionist. There are three questions that follow once someone hears that you're vegetarian: "Where do you get your protein, Why are you vegetarian, How long have you been vegetarian?" This continues to shock me, why do strangers care where I get my protein? It's not like I go around asking people crossing the street where they get their vitamin C. I understand that getting a proper amount of protein can be difficult for vegetarians, but so what? Maybe I'm eating no protein, I still don't know you so it's weird that you're asking me about my eating habits. It's like the minute they hear that you don't eat meat, they have to justify why they do. "You know they say eating meat sparingly is good for you.." I don't understand why these people judge what I choose to eat and not eat. It's not like I judge them as they shove the third cookie of the night into their mouths...okay maybe I do a little. Or it's not like I tell them repeatedly that they are eating what was once a living breathing animal, though I may be thinking it. Little bit of advice, don't give any to people you don't know. Wait until you "meat" someone to advise them on their protein intake.


1 comment:

  1. the "meat" really brightened my day. Although the real kicker was the three cookies per meal. 10 might be more accurate though.

    ReplyDelete